Is Your Marriage Normal?
At one time or another, most married couples will ask the question, “Is our marriage normal?” This is a difficult question to answer since it depends on your definition of normal. We would suggest that a better question to ask would be, “Is my marriage healthy?”
So, what does healthy mean when we are talking about marriage? A healthy marriage is one where both spouses contribute to the relationship, love and appreciate each other as well as maintain good boundaries that would all but eliminate most codependencies. Even a healthy marriage will have issues that both spouses work hard at to overcome. Some issues can be overcome and some can merely kept in-check, this is beacause the individuals entering into a marriage relationship are flawed themselves. Furthermore, a marriage can only be as healthy as the least healthy of the two spouses. Let that last sentence sink in for a moment.
Here are some questions (not an exhaustive list) to ask that will point you in the right direction toward a healthy marriage:
- Do you regularly work on yourself, work toward trying to be a better person?
- Do you ask your spouse for insights about you that you might not see yourself?
- Do you think your spouse feels safe giving you an honest answer?
- Do you regularly tell your spouse how you feel about him/her?
- If you or your spouse thought you needed outside help (counseling, friends, etc.) would you both be okay with that?
- When was the last time you took some kind of personality test to learn more about yourself?
- When was the last time you read a self-help book?
- When was the last time you went to a marriage conference, seminar, or retreat?
- Do you have mentors in your life that help you to keep your marriage on track?
So, is your marriage healthy? We sure hope so.
Can your marriage be healthier than it currently is? Probably!
At Tandem Marriage, we save couples from failed marriages. We have done this for hundreds of others and can do it for you too. We have taken the liberty of giving you a head start with an article titled, 10 Things You Can Do Today To Take Your Marriage From Good To Great. We will also give you a FREE version of the “10 Things” poster just for sharing your email address with us at: https://tandemmarriage.com/10things
Look for us on most social media platforms for daily marriage inspiration: @TandemMarriage
By Brad & Tami Miller. Copyright © 2019